Titan of the month: Colin Burrows

Sophie Hensley, Staff Reporter

The Oracle’s monthly Q & A with an athlete that was nominated by the sports editors and voted on by South students. 

After suffering from a stress fracture last season, senior captain Colin Burrows enters his last season at GBS with hopes of becoming an all-conference athlete.

What is your favorite part about being an athlete at GBS?

All the support that we get. The Pep Club has done a fantastic job the past couple years, making it out to sporting events other than just football.

When did you first become interested in cross-country?

I first joined cross-country with a bunch of my friends as a freshman. It was our first major meet, the Crystal Lake invite, which made me want to excel in the sport.

How can you describe past seasons of cross-country?

[They have been] pretty successful. We’ve been competing well within our conference and last year we sent a runner to state for the first time in a long time, so things have definitely been looking up.

What advice would you give to other GBS athletes?

Do everything in your ability to remain injury free. Listen to your body and when it needs a rest, because no one knows you better than you.

What are your goals for the season?

[A goal] of mine [is] to run under 16 minutes in the three mile, but what I’m most focused on is being the best leader on the team I can be and building an environment of hard work and accountability.

Do you have any pre-run rituals?

I try to relax before my races. Sometimes I can get too nervous and won’t run well. Hanging out with my teammates usually helps me avoid that.