Janczak looks to leave legacy on GBS football

Mary Grace Reynolds & Tommy Barrett, Staff Reporters

The difference between a leader and an iconic athlete can often be hard to distinguish. Icons live for making big plays on their own, but leaders can motivate others to succeed. Ryan Janczak, starting running back and captain, is one example that melds the two personalities together with his unique leadership style on the GBS varsity football team, according to Mike Noll, varsity football coach.

As a captain, Janczak is responsible for keeping the team together and making sure they are constantly motivated, even in a close game or before playing a difficult team.

“I just remember the week leading up to the Maine South game [on Oct. 2], Ryan was really confident and had a lot of energy that kind of just rubbed off on everybody,” captain Owen Boyle said.

During the Maine South game, GBS was winning for a majority of the time and when Maine South caught up, the Titans began to lose confidence, according to Janczak.

“I just kept the sidelines going and I kept everyone in the game focused,” Janczak said.

Janczak’s duties as a captain go further than just games. According to Janczak, during practices, workouts, and the off-season, he is expected to act as a leader.

“I have to make sure everybody else is on task,” Janczak said. “I have to be at my best but I also have to make sure everyone else is at their best and kind of bring out the best in everyone else.”

According to Boyle, the other players on the team recognize and respect Janczak for his effort and dedication to football.

“He’s easily the hardest worker on the team just from lifting in the off season and just being respectful to everybody,” Boyle said. “He earns the respect that we all should give him for his work.”

Ryan’s mother, Jody Janczak, explained a time where Ryan did not have the amount of support he does now.

“When Ryan was [in Junior High…], he wanted to be a running back,” Jody said. “There were older kids and coaches that said he would never be a running back because he was too short, too small, or too tubby; but he is arguably one of the best running backs in the conference right now, so I think a little bit of fuel for his fire was them telling him he couldn’t do it.”

Noll described Ryan’s importance to the unity and improvement of the football program. Noll recalled when they met early in Ryan’s career because Noll had Ryan in his World History and Civilizations class freshman year. In addition to having him for football every day after school, he noticed that Ryan was a unique combination of both a dedicated player and student.

“You could tell right away he was a thoughtful young man, a really good student…a kid who wanted to be good,” Noll said.

According to Statistics Keeper Scott Nemecek, Ryan has nearly 1,200 rushing yards and 17 rushing touchdowns this season. Noll said that Ryan is the only player in South’s history to consecutively produce these statistics two years in a row.

Noll noted many positive attributes about Ryan’s well-roundedness, specifically how he is always looking to lead. According to Noll, he discovered this quality of Ryan’s during a volunteer summer camp for Glenview youth football players, which Ryan and other varsity football players led.

“I call it knowledge leadership,” Noll said. “It’s when you are able to pass on what you know about sport to somebody else, they do that really well, whether they’re in a youth camp setting with fourth, fifth, and sixth graders[… or] they’re in a huddle group with freshmen and sophomores, […] sometimes it’s someone on the varsity team, […]  Ryan does that very well.”

His mom remembered a time when Ryan showed leadership.

“He really likes working with the younger kids because he sees their enthusiasm and excitement of playing football and he also worked with Glenbrook United and taught kids with special needs football and he found that experience deeply and personally rewarding,” Jody said.

According to Ryan, South’s program has taught him much about the importance of being a leader.

“[I like] the idea that it’s my team; I’m in charge,” Ryan said. “Whether we do good or bad, it’s on my shoulders. I like the responsibility of it.”

Ryan also said he learned to become an all-around better player, both mentally and physically, from South.

“[My biggest challenge was] stepping up and being a vocal leader, because I’m not really outspoken and that’s kind of a quality you need to be an effective leader,” Ryan said.

According to senior EJ Reynolds, Ryan will be a legacy on the GBS football team.

“It’s a pleasure to watch because [Ryan is] such a unique athlete to Glenbrook South and I think his legacy on the football team will be remembered,” Reynolds said.

With his senior football season over, Ryan said he maintains a positive outlook for his future and legacy at South.

“I guess my biggest goal as a legacy would just to be one of those names that people throw around when they talk about GBS football,” Ryan said.