College Athlete Update

Breck Murphy, Co-Sports Editor

Kaylee Sherman, a 2013 South graduate, is currently cheering at Illinois State. While at South, Sherman was all-conference in 2011 and 2012.

What do you think of the cheer program at Illinois State?

I have been very blessed to be on the cheerleading team at Illinois State. These cheerleaders that I get to work with every day are so committed and passionate about the sport and continuously want to improve. It’s been a very positive experience, and I’ve learned skills that I never thought would be in my near future.

What advice do you have for GBS students who want to pursue college athletics?

I would say if any student athletes were hoping to join a team in college, to start early and initiate contact with coaches. Even if you are uncertain about joining a team, go for it because it could be one of the best decisions you make in college. You may end up loving it. Lastly, academics are important too! You are a student before an athlete.

When did you start to become interested in cheerleading?

I became interested in college cheerleading during my junior year when I was starting to think about potential colleges to attend. I loved the sport and could not even think about giving it up.

What has been your favorite memory from this year?

My favorite memory from this year has been cheering at the games packed with fans and getting to perform at the IHSA State Championships.

How did South sports prepare you for college athletics?

I learned how to organize and balance my schoolwork and sport from my experience at South. The rigorous workouts and practices also prepared me physically and mentally. My coaches were a huge help in preparing me for tryouts.